Help Marin join the statewide CA4SSI effort to lift SSI recipients out of poverty
We are gearing up to advocate for increasing SSI/SSP benefits again this year with the CA4SSI coalition. There are two important budget hearings coming up in March. Same as last year, we want to emphasize:
We are asking the CA Legislature to restore SSI/SSP grant cuts and the Cost of Living Adjustment. We are using this fact sheet to explain the context and outline our request.
If you would be willing to speak about the important role that SSI/SSP benefits play in your community, these hearings will be a really powerful place to share those stories during the open comment period.
Thursday March 2, 2017 | Senate Budget Subcommittee #3 on Health and Human Services
- Members: Senator Pan (Chair), Senator Monning, Senator Stone. Although Senator McGuire is not on this subcommittee, he is on the Budget and Fiscal Review committee, so Marin has some influence.
- Transportation: The hearing will start at 9:30am, but it is likely that they will be hearing about SSI at around noon. There is a bus being organized from San Francisco to leave at around 7:00am, so if you would like to come to this hearing, you could either meet the bus in San Francisco, or take your own transportation. We can help to facilitate carpooling.
- Take Action: If we hear from a few of you that you’d like to come, we can work on setting up a meeting with Senator McGuire’s office that morning.
Wednesday March 15, 2017 | Assembly Budget Subcommittee #1 on Health and Human Services
- Members: Assemblymember Arambula (Chair), Senator. Harper, Senator Mathis, Senator Rubio, Senator Wood, Senator Ting (Alternate), Senator Obernolte (Alternate)
- Transportation: This hearing will start at 2:30pm, and it’s expected that SSI/SSP will be the first topic that’s heard. Transportation will be organized.
- Take Action: If we hear from a few of you that you’d like to come to this hearing, we can try to set up a meeting with Assemblymember Levine’s office.
To be in Action:
Contact Becky Gershon
Senior Policy & Advocacy Coordinator
(415) 282-1900 (x317)
About Aging Action Initiative
The purpose of the Aging Action Initiative is to promote a county-wide age-friendly environment, especially for those in need, collectively created by a strong network of aging service providers through public education, policy advocacy, and service coordination. The initiative is a collective effort of over 65 different agencies, grassroots organizations, commissions and neighborhood groups, funded by the County of Marin, and coordinated by MARINSPACE.